Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Review | The Eternal Ones

Title: The Eternal Ones
Author: Kirsten Miller
Publisher: Razorbill
Pages: 416
Rating: 4.5

"What if love refused to die?

Haven Moore can’t control her visions of a past with a boy called Ethan, and a life in New York that ended in fiery tragedy. In our present, she designs beautiful dresses for her classmates with her best friend Beau. Dressmaking keeps her sane, since she lives with her widowed and heartbroken mother in her tyrannical grandmother’s house in Snope City, a tiny town in Tennessee. Then an impossible group of coincidences conspire to force her to flee to New York, to discover who she is, and who she was.

In New York, Haven meets Iain Morrow and is swept into an epic love affair that feels both deeply fated and terribly dangerous. Iain is suspected of murdering a rock star and Haven wonders, could he have murdered her in a past life? She visits the Ouroboros Society and discovers a murky world of reincarnation that stretches across millennia. Haven must discover the secrets hidden in her past lives, and loves¸ before all is lost and the cycle begins again."

In one sentence: The Eternal Ones was one helluva ride and secured a spot on my most favorites among the paranormal genre.


This novel, by far, was something I haven’t seen on the paranormal scene. Giving you signals that this is something fresh and interesting. The concept of reincarnation, past lives and love-at-first-sight interested me completely and left me awed when I finished reading. For me, keeping up with past characters and the present characters will leave you slightly confused. But The Eternal Ones was forgiven for how well the past and present mixed together seamlessly. And the writing. The writing was amazing and was definitely awesome.


The relationships that Haven were complex and very believable. With Iain, the chemistry between the two was undeniable and very steamy. I mean, come on, I’m a girl, I’m allowed to note on those sort of things. Now on to Beau. He was the guy best friend who was always there for Haven under the circumstances. We didn’t have any problem with the Southern gentleman either. All in all, the characters and their relationships with each other were great.


The ending. For me, everything closed nicely and left me satisfied. And about five minutes later, I’m like wait, what happened to this person? Is that it? But it’s naturally going to happen, and I didn’t mind it at all. Let’s just say it can either close nicely for you or having you wanting more. In my case, both.


The Eternal Ones has everything you could ask for in a paranormal novel with a little twist. The Ouroboros Society gave you the suspense, Haven and Iain gave you the romance (ahem), and with a little mystery, this novel will keep you on your toes. I definitely recommend this novel to almost anyone. Who knows, maybe you’ll like it just as much as I did.

1 comment:

Thanks for reading, wanna comment? :]