Sunday, September 6, 2009

Review: Immortal by Gillian Shields

Title: Immortal
Author: Gillian Shields
Publisher: Harper Teen
Pages: 360
Rating: 3.5

"Wyldcliffe Abbey School for Young Ladies, housed in a Gothic mansion on the bleak northern moors, is elite, expensive, and unwelcoming. When Evie Johnson is torn away from her home by the sea to become the newest scholarship student, she is more isolated than she could have dreamed. Strict teachers, snobbish students, and the oppressive atmosphere of Wyldcliffe leave Evie drowning in loneliness.

Evie's only lifeline is Sebastian, a rebellious, mocking, dangerously attractive young man she meets by chance. As Evie's feelings for Sebastian grow with each secret meeting, she starts to fear that he is hiding something about his past. And she is haunted by glimpses of a strange, ghostly girl—a girl who is so eerily like Evie, she could be a sister. Evie is slowly drawn into a tangled web of past and present that she cannot control. And as the extraordinary, elemental forces of Wyldcliffe rise up like the mighty sea, Evie is faced with an astounding truth about Sebastian, and her own incredible fate."
Review:
I've heard a lot of mixed reviews from this book- some good and most bad. I've got to think differently about it.

I loved the theme in this book. It's a mumble jumble of different things, but I think they fit together well. The witch and magic aspect, the love aspect, everything. Quite intersting. I loved the journal entries from Agnes were amazing. I love any book that has diary/journal entries. It brings more to the book.

Most of the characters were snobby, except for a few of them. The teachers creeped me out! They were beyond creepy, and too strict also. Okay, okay, I have this problem with liking guy chararcters in books - kill me for all I care, heh- but I liked Sebastian. Maybe it was the name, but still. His character fancisated me. The main character was a bit whiny and unlistening brat. Don't get me wrong, I liked her at times, but seriously!

The writing and plot were slightly good in my opinion. The setting of Wydcliffe was Gothic and plain out creepy. I'd be one mad chick if I were sent there, I'd die. I also have one complaint, was this put in modern times or the Gothic times - I couldn't tell otherwise. Other than that, I liked the creepy tone it had. Oh, and I liked how the cover was portrayed throighout the book, you don't get that very often.

Overall, you'll know really quickly if you do or don't like this book. On my terms, I liked it. Not loved it, but I liked it. It was something different than the teen crazed issues I always read about.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading, wanna comment? :]