Monday, September 28, 2009

Sunday's Vintage Darlings (1 Late)

Samira Armin Hodges in the fantastic author behind that book that is now my very favorite. If you want to check out her blog please click here. If you want to read my review of the book, it's right on this link [: Yes, it's the smiley face, hehe. In the meantime, here's a sypnopsis of her book:
_____________

"One day. That’s how long it took for fourteen year-old Faye Martin’s ordinary life to take a dramatic and unexpected turn. First, she gets struck by lightning. Second, Benjamin Parker, the object of her obsession, witnessed her near-death experience. Finally, her parents force her to leave her hometown of Seattle to attend a summer camp, aptly named ‘Camp Milestone’. Only, Camp Milestone is no ordinary camp. Before she knows it, Faye finds herself caught in a whirlwind of uncertainty, torture, calamine lotion and romance….All in the name of summer camp. But as the summer unfolds, she realizes there is much more to Camp Milestone than meets the eye. Will she be able to unravel the mystery that surrounds this unusual camp? And more importantly, will she be able to survive the madness long enough to put the pieces together?"


1- First off, I know you get asked this question a lot, but where did you get your inspiration for Milestones?

The story for Milestones just came to me one day. I can’t say there was one thing that happened that made me come up with it. I daydream a lot and I am always thinking up different stories but this one seemed more special than all the others so I knew I had to run with it. Then, later, as I was writing it, I drew inspiration from my own life experiences (like my own camp experience when I was younger etc….).

2- Did you ever want to be an author when you were younger or was it a spur of the moment decision?

Of course I did! I have loved writing all my life and I would have loved to be author when I was younger. The difference was, I just didn’t think it was possible! I wasn’t the “major in English and minor in arts” type of person. I was the science loving, doctor-wannabe girl who also happened to adore writing and loved coming up with new and crazy stories. I didn’t fit the stereotype. So I never thought it was possible.

3- Speaking of authors, what advice do you have for aspiring authors?

Oh so much! Where do I start? For one, don’t ever give up. The road to publishing is a long and at times tedious one, but you must stay determined and try not to become too demoralized. You will need to grow thicker skin and deal with rejection….a lot! Whenever I used to get rejected, I would seek reinforcement from my friends and family and I would also go and read about other authors’ publishing endeavours. It would make me feel so much better knowing that Stephen King was also rejected back in the day, as did other super successful authors. Also, don’t feel bad if you are very critical of your own work. I think it’s a trait all authors share. And finally try to deal with writer’s block by reading a book you love, one that will surely inspire you.

4- Who or what inspires you most when you write?

I have always been inspired by Judy Blume and then later, JK Rowling. I also get very easily inspired by movies (most often times romantic comedies or chick flick, believe it or not!). Also , my husband understands the writer in me very well and he has become an expert at determining when I need a boost or encouragement. So he inspires me quite often too. Finally, I get inspired by life. I lived in the Caribbean for two years, have moved many many times in my life and have had many amazing experiences which all inspire me as well.

5- When you saw your first book on the shelves, what was your first thought?

Something along the lines of, “Omg. I can’t believe this is happening! I can’t believe this is happening. I can’t believe this is happening. Omigod, this is amazing. I feel so lucky. And….ahhhh! I really hope people like it!”.

6- We all have random things about us. Can you give us five random facts about you?

I love this. Okay, here goes:

5- I love to watch The Office.
4- I love to travel. I have a list of top places I’d love to visit and my number one place is Greece.
3- My nickname is Sami. That’s actually what all my friends and family call me. Only my teachers and publisher call me Samira. ;)
2- I speak three languages.
1- I got married at the Atlantis Hotel in the Bahamas.

7- This out of curiosity but what’s the title of the next book of the Milestones Trilogy?

I would love to answer this question but I am sworn to secrecy! And since whole theme of Milestones is “Can you keep a secret?”, I’ve got to stick to my own motto. Unfortunately, that will be something that will be announced sometime in 2010.
Thank you so much for having me on your blog. It was a pleasure answering your questions! :))
_____
That concludes it, and it was a great having YOU on my blog [:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading, wanna comment? :]